Daft Fings wot have been Done Afloat.

Here you can have a good gosip and talk about us all

Daft Fings wot have been Done Afloat.

Postby roya » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:05 am

OK own up wots the Daftest thing you have done whilst Boating.

Mine must be when (in the old days GROAN) after a good session in the Ferry I got on board and chugged off in grand style,only to realise 15 mins later I had forgotten GILL.

:Oh .st. .Tee.
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Re: Daft Fings wot have been Done Afloat.

Postby MBA Marine » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:36 am

I have had two Dinghy issues, the first Horning village marina, I took a dingy but made a bad choice the ores and rollocks were terrible, the wind was up and water was moving quite fast, well i thought I might end up in Wroxham!! The second was crossing to Thorpe Island, now I am a seasoned pro at the standing up and paddling with one ore thing but a few years back I had my first attempt and I 360'd in the middle of the river. highly embarrassing moments, but you cannot live and learn without living!
MBA Marine
Master's Mate

Postby Freedom » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:16 am

About 20 years ago, I tried to overtake someone on a corner who was just all over the place. Whilst I could see well enough there was nobody coming, I managed to ignore the fact that the bank shelved terribly and I ended up aground and very red faced.
Freedom
Quarter Master

Postby SteveO » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:05 pm

With 30 odd years of boating behind us, where do I start? We hired a boat from Pacific Cruisers at Loddon many years ago and set off around 4 pm for a night on Rockland staithe. We arrived and there wasn't a mooring to be had so, eager to get into the pub, we moored up using rhond anchors on the overgrown left bank of the dyke. We somehow found our way through the brambles to the New Inn and back after dark, then turned in for the night. We were woken by a gentle nudge on the side of he hull early in the morning, turned over and went back to sleep, only to be woken by a harder nudge and what sounded like a mouthful of abuse. Pulling back the curtains to see what was going on, I realised that I was down looking down towards Rockland Broad, and not across the marshes. One of the rhond anchors had pulled out and the boat had drifted round and was almost right across the dyke. The nudging had been boats squeezing past us. We decided that, rather than re-moor, we would set off and moor somewhere else for breakfast. I tugged the mooring rope to recover the other rhond anchor only to find that it was barely holding at all.

Another time, we moored at Stokesby ferry and in the evening, took the rowing boat up towards Acle. We got to where we were going in about 15 minutes and then turned round for the return journey. Unbeknown to two "green" boaters, the tide had been responsible for our rapid progress upriver. The journey back was a different story and took us over an hour. We finally got back, tired and somewhat wiser, just as it was getting dark. :LL:

-uu-

Steve
Old enough to know better
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby RICHGRAFIX.CO.UK » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:44 am

while proceeding in an orderly fashion past the Ferry heading to Horning at the speed limit in Aquaholic a day boat with a crew of persons of middle aged and older proceeded to overtake me, I noticed the skipper was a distinguished looking gentleman wearing the obligatory captains hat and the passengers were suitably attired wearing there Sunday best, for reasons that I can only put down to a senior moment (not on my part) the day boat pulled back in front of us but the skipper had miss-timed the manouvre and his stern hit my bows, I of course hit reverse but the resultant "t Bone" caused similar to the pitt manouvre meant we pushed the dayboat sideways down the river for a short distance while the terrified passengers and enraged skipper shouted and screamed at us to stop. while I shook my head in disbelief at how stupid the dayboats actions were, the "discussion" that followed went along the lines of it being my fault that he turned into me and he had been boating for 30 years and because of this his stupidity must be my fault! I did in no uncertain term explain the error of his logic.
OFFICIAL NBO northern county's correspondent
RICHGRAFIX.CO.UK
Quarter Master

Postby littlesprite » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:44 am

If you can think of a daft thing, I have probably done it at some time over the years, still you learn by your mistakes. (after 10 or 11 times) :D
Martin
littlesprite
Master's Mate

Postby Paul » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:55 pm

I, of course, have never done anything daft, although I did once find myself in the middle of a powerboat race on Oulton Broad.
If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.”

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill
Paul
Boatswain

Postby RICHGRAFIX.CO.UK » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:43 pm

did you win?
OFFICIAL NBO northern county's correspondent
RICHGRAFIX.CO.UK
Quarter Master

Postby Paul » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:23 pm

I think I was ahead rounding the final bouy when for some strange reason the steward threw the red flag.
If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.”

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill
Paul
Boatswain

Postby Gretzky » Tue May 13, 2014 3:05 pm

Trying to get a bank pin in hard ground, not having a hammer, I decided to try to use a spare mud weight... one knock, it bounced out of my hands, rolled down the river bank and plopped strigt in to the river.

Did also once cruse all the way from salhouse to Wroxham with the mud weight down, one of those nice shinny blingy ones too, the one the wife had been after for ages. Its not quite as shiny now, covered in scraches and scuffs and missus still hasnt forgiven me.
Gretzky
Scurvy Mariner

Return to General Chit chat