spammers

Problems relating to settings, posting etc. should be posted here!

Re: spammers

Postby Maurice_Mynah » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:33 pm

Well done to whoever has gone through all those spams, the only ones left that I found were in the "Nominate Your Choice of Best Pub Food " thread. Well done for the mammoth task.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who agree with me, and those who are wrong.
Maurice_Mynah
Master's Mate

Postby SteveO » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:43 pm

I second MM's Thanks , there seem to be as deluge of spammers at the moment and it must be a thankless task. Pity they can't get as life and find something useful to do with it.

-uu-

Steve
Old enough to know better
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby Paul » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 pm

look on the bright side, at least I now know what Uggs are!
If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.”

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill
Paul
Boatswain

Postby roya » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:07 am

Paul,
if i may say so you would look rather Dapper in a pair of Uggs and your Blue Lycra jogging shorts.

:Oh :Oh :Oh

on the other hand .Tee.
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby Hylander » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:26 am

Seriously if they can identify the disgusting trolls , why cannot Providers of the internet identify these spammers. They would be doing their customers a real service if they did. :ts:
Hylander
Scurvy Mariner

Postby Maurice_Mynah » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:54 am

I think he problem may be one of legality. The spammers are very annoying but not doing anything illegal. No, the real money spinner will be the person who develops an anti spam filter that works for forums and can be updated in the same way that anti-virus companies do.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who agree with me, and those who are wrong.
Maurice_Mynah
Master's Mate

Postby MBA Marine » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:03 pm

As the Spammers have very long posts, could the forum not filter out posts that are over a certain number of characters long? If people wished to write long blog style posts they would just need to split it over two or three posts within the same topic.
MBA Marine
Master's Mate

Postby SteveO » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:33 pm

I would have thought that you could tell them by their usernames and their behaviour. Anyone with a name that is an unusual combination of letters should ring alarm bells and if they say they come from Sri lanka, Equador, Tristan da Cunha, you have to question their interest in the Broads. Maybe look at factors like these and in addition, require that all new joiners post in the first 2 weeks of membership, to introduce themselves and demonstrate that they share our interests. If not, then heave ho.

Just a thought.

-uu-

Steve
Old enough to know better
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby Maurice_Mynah » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:12 pm

I noticed Frabegreemurb is our latest member. I bet he will spam any day soon !!!
Maurice_Mynah
Master's Mate

Postby littlesprite » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:43 pm

Would anyone ever be silly enough to buy from one of these spammers?
Martin
littlesprite
Master's Mate

Return to Having Problems?