You wait 50 years and then two come along at once

Here you can have a good gosip and talk about us all

You wait 50 years and then two come along at once

Postby Freedom » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:23 am

Today, a new Ferry service opens to transport foot passengers and cycles from Thorpe to Whitlingham.

The ferry service replaces the last operating service of about 50 years ago (someone will correct the date the last ferry ceased, I am sure).

The ferry is operated by Mark Waklyn and will run from River Green to the BA floating pontoon at Whitlingham. BBC Radio Norfolk are sending a reporter there now to cover the story.

But, like busses, you wait 50 years and then two come along at once.

My landlord has long had desires to run a ferry service too and has been planning one since before we moved to Kingfisher. He has obtained substantial grant funding for it and I am led to believe that he intends to begin a service in only a couple of weeks time.

Having run the Horning Ferry for a few years, I know about some of the issues with such a facility and appreciate that such a service is never likely to cover its costs, yet here we have not one but two ferrys in competition at different ends of Whitlingham country park.

The ferry that is intended to operate at my end of the park requires a large amount of work and a good deal of tree surgery has already taken place at Whitlingham this week to open a safe path to the old sugarbeet staithe from where it is planned to run on the south of the Yare. Further works to this staithe are planned so that passengers can board and alight at various tides.

The ferry opening today is entirely funded (I am told) by Mark Waklyn himself who is doing it simply because he wants to.

With the end of agressive car parking enforcement at Whitlingham in sight, I question the viability of a ferry service at all. The original service was a simple rowing boat operated by Nobby Clark's wife (I am told that Nobby was far too lazy himself to do this). 50ish years on, we have two motor boats vying for what must be a very limited patronage.

Any additional service for the Broads must be a good thing and with all the news of cut-backs and closures, having something new is a breath of fresh air. I sincerely hope that there are enough people wishing to cross at both points to make both services a long term feature of the area.
Freedom
Quarter Master

Re: You wait 50 years and then two come along at once

Postby Paul » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:26 pm

anything which improves access to the water must be a good thing. Good luck to both projects.
If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.”

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill
Paul
Boatswain

Postby reedhamJim » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:18 pm

It is stated above that Mr Ellingham is planning to run the ferry from Kingfisher Yard, THIS IS NOT TRUE.
I understand that a court has ordered that the "substantial grant funding" mentioned below be repaid because the person who obtained it was not intending to run the ferry from his own property of property he had permission to use. Amazing that the council and Broads Authority hand OUR money out in this way.

My landlord has long had desires to run a ferry service too and has been planning one since before we moved to Kingfisher. He has obtained substantial grant funding for it and I am led to believe that he intends to begin a service in only a couple of weeks time.
reedhamJim
Cabin Boy

Postby hank » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:12 am

apologies to ReedhamJim for the late post approval
Definition: Boat n. A hole in the surface of the water in which to throw money
hank
Site Admin

Return to General Chit chat