Help is this worth downloading.

Thanks
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Re: WINDOWS TEN.

Postby Ariel_vh » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Well Roy, at the moment it is not for me. I did try to load it but the Softonic site didn't make it easy. Other download sites made me feel a bit twitchy.... It appears to me to be a bit like windows 8 that I have used but find it a bit clumsy...
I have had 4 pint cans of Stella so I'm signing off.
Just because you are breathing does'nt mean that you are alive.
Ariel_vh
Quarter Master

Postby hank » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:51 pm

Ive been using 10 since last November. Since then the new releases have ironed out a few bugs and I'm quite getting used to it. the last release seems to have cured all the previous issues. I must say I do like it. It is a cross between 7 and 8 with mostly the best bits from each. Takes a little geting used to as buttons have moved to a more linux (Ubuntu) style.

If you already have 7 or 8, then 10 comes as a free download. Just watch for the little windows symbol, bottom right of your screen
XP & Vista sorry You will have to buy it.

PS Cortana is good when it works (the bit where you talk to it and it answers back)
Definition: Boat n. A hole in the surface of the water in which to throw money
hank
Site Admin

Postby Ariel_vh » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:40 am

Thanks Hank.......I have still not upgrader to Windows 10...... Now that it has been up and running for some time I was wondering how others find it... At the moment I have Windows 7 and think its the best since Windows XP..Les
Ariel_vh
Quarter Master

Postby riyadhcrew » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:53 pm

I upgraded from 7 to 10 and I like it.

Try it - it gives you one month to go back to 7 if you don't like it.
best regards,
Eric.
riyadhcrew
Deckhand

Postby roya » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:45 pm

Ta for input Thanks ,
still dithering but will feel really brave one day and do it. ;bow
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby Ariel_vh » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:34 am

Roy and other doubters. I finally bit the bullet and loaded Windows 10. Am I pleased with it? I don't even know myself.
I was using windows 7 and was quite happy with it but throwing caution to the wind I loaded 10.
My windows 7 booted up in less than one minute. Windows 10 is so slllooow. I sit looking at my monitor for at least 4 minutes, its telling me that I have an Asus mother board... Yipeeee,,, but I already knew that. When it eventually fires up its quite quick and smart, what really drives me mad is that it is impossible to close the last page viewed one has to go back to the start.
I have no items that need to be loaded at the start because I have disabled them all so I either go back to 7 or put up and shut up... Les
Ariel_vh
Quarter Master

Postby roya » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:39 am

Hi Les,
ta for input,im letting sleeping dogs lie at the mo,

my pooter is working great on windows 7,
i will quit whilst im ahead for once.

;bow
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby Ariel_vh » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi Roy,and others.. There was an update that didn't come with 10, found it by accident and now the pooter is as fast as a rat down a sewer.
Still a lot to learn though like printing images etc.. To be totally honest although 10 has some good points I am thinking of going back to 7 before its to late... Les
Ariel_vh
Quarter Master

Postby SteveO » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:51 pm

Relay Roy. I have heard that recent patches have made it much easier to live with Windows 10.

I am a Windows Vista user, so I have to pay if I want an update. However, my PC is quite old and I am also a Yorkshireman so I think that the only way for me to keep this one going will be Linux. I have a very old laptop that I bought in the US in 2004 and ran on Windows XP. It was so slow that we stopped using it. I pulled it out of the cupboard a while ago and loaded the Windows Mint operating system. After a few teething problems with the Broadcom wireless card driver, which were easily resolved, I now have an old PC that runs quicker than it did when it was new!

I like Linux Mint, it is free, simple and intuitive to use, free from the "bloat" you get with Windows and much more secure, to the point where you don't really need to run an antivirus programme. you can do most things with it that you can do with a windows PC and the fact that it is not "mainstream" appeals to the geek in me. If you want to see what it looks like without committing, you can download a distribution (geek-speak for version) of Linux, make a boot USB, using the LinuxLive USB creator http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/home and launch it in a virtual environment from within Windows. Whilst you wouldn't want to run it like this forever, it gives you a good idea of what Linux is like. If you like it, you can use the USB to partition your hard drive and install Linux as an alternative Operating System - you can then choose whether you start your machine in Windows or Linux when you boot up.

I did this on an old machine first off, to make sure it all worked - I wouldn't deploy it on my newest and best laptop until I was confident that I knew what I was doing! and I backed up my windows environment first as a precaution.

-uu- -uu-

Steve
Old enough to know better
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby hank » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:53 am

Agree with SteveO my laptop dual boots into either XP or Ubuntu linux. Ubuntu is far quicker and not that much different from windows to use
hank
Site Admin

Postby Ariel_vh » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:08 pm

Well, thanks for those comments and will certainly look into it. Must admit that some of that went over my head but will have a go... Les
Ariel_vh
Quarter Master

Postby woodwose » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:00 pm

Hi Roy
I expect you know that one of my voluntary jobs is teaching people how to use computers at the Ludham Computer Club. Over that last 8 years we have helped over 400 people with computer issues of all sorts. Obviously, we have to be able to drive all flavours of Windows and IOS as you have no idea what pupils will bring in or ask you. So I am able to compare the various versions of Windows. Here are a few thoughts:
XP is obsolete now but it still works. I have not been asked for help with this for some years now.
Vista and Windows 7 is old now but both still work OK. I think Vista is starting to drift out of support and I notice that the Google Chrome browser will no longer be updated on Vista machines. Windows 7 should be supported for some time yet and it works fine. However, I moved on to Windows 8 back in 2012 and all that extra functionality is missing in 7, so my heart sinks when people bring in older Windows 7 laptops.
Windows 8: Over the last few years, most new pupils have brought in Windows 8 laptops. Windows 8 is a bit different from Windows 7 so it takes a bit of getting used to but it has many good and useful features. Interestingly, people who learned on earlier versions of Windows moan about 8 being a bit different, but those who learned on 8 dislike Windows 7 for the same reason.
Windows 10. Most new new pupils now come with Windows 10 machines and many others have upgraded from 7 or 8 to 10. Windows 10 is quite easy to use and is really a cross between Windows 7 and Windows 8. Think of it as Windows 7 with lots more functionality available. I can get people up and running on Windows 8 or 10 in a 1 hour session. They may be a bit different, but everything that was available in 7 and 8 is there in 10 also plus a lot more.

So what do I use myself? Well, I have got an old Vista laptop which I use for video editing only. I have a Windows 10 laptop and I recently bought a Windows 10 tablet. Windows 10 works very well in tablet mode and I have to say that I much prefer it to Android which I have on my phone. It is far more flexible and capable. I also have a machine running Linux. I have nothing against Linux but I think you need to be a bit of a geek to get the most out of it.

There are still some bugs floating around in Windows 10 although recent updates seem to have improved these quite a lot.

At some point in the future we will all move to Windows 10. If you are very risk averse or find it hard to learn new things then don't do it now. If you want to come to the Ludham Computer Club for free one to one tuition, or to try it out, then let me know.

Hope this helps

Nigel
woodwose
Scurvy Mariner

Postby Ariel_vh » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:40 pm

Hello Nigel and all foumites. I found it quite difficult to get to grips with 10 but the more I use it the better it gets , or I get. Had some difficulty with photographs until I found the small dots top right. No doubt there are many more things that I have to learn.
Like a lot of people I suppose I just dived in without watching the video that comes with 10.
If all else fails look at the instruction video. Must admit that I still haven't watched... Will now go and have a look. Les
Ariel_vh
Quarter Master

Postby roya » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:47 pm

Hi Nigel,
Its spot on to hear from you again, .clap.

We are on holiday soon staying at a rather posh (he he) penthouse at wroxham bridge,so will try to pop over and see you.

Since my stroke last year its been a bit of a struggle on the pooter front as i was not that good before :Oh .

but im getting there,and like most old relics its hard upgrading to new systems,but as i intend to be around for a few more years i must

get with it ,so to speak.

Les ta for input one day we will rule the world mate ;bow

For you younger folk just think ,i used to listen to a Crystal set as a boy. blimey.

Hope you all have a super summer. .k.
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby woodwose » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi Roy

If you want a tutor at the Computer Club it is essential to book as demand is high.

Drop in and visit by all means.

The first radio I built when I was a kid was a crystal set. It worked really well with a huge aerial. I used a germanium diode, did you actually use a galena crystal and cat's whisker?

Nigel
Ham radio station G4AXA
woodwose
Scurvy Mariner

Postby woodwose » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:24 pm

Les

I think the new Photo App in Windows 10 is very clever, but I don't actually use it very much as it does not have the functionality for the sort of things I need to do. If you upgrade from an earlier version of Windows, you still have Windows Photo Viewer available which is familiar from earlier versions. In new Windows 10 installations, it is not there (or so it seems) but it is very easy to put it back (it is there really). If this applies to you, just Google and you will find websites with instructions.

Nigel
Ludham
woodwose
Scurvy Mariner

Postby roya » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:59 am

Hi Nigel,

Yes the cats whisker,for folk who do not know it was a slender bendy needle type thing attached to a knob via a spring,and you had to twiddle it round the surface of the Crystal till it tuned in so to speak.
Blimey.
ps
and Bakerlite headphones that weighed a ton.
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby SteveO » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:27 pm

I had a crystal radio when I was a kid, Bakelite headphones and all. It was in a little white Bakelite box with a knob that you turned to tune it in to a limited number of channels, mainly the BBC Home and World Service broadcasts. This was the mid-1960s. Radios 1, 2, 3 and 4 came later. The aerial was a hundred foot or so length of wire, that was zig-zagged across the ceiling of my attic bedroom and I recall, a one stage, wired into the frame of my bed.

On the computer front, I bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago and converted my best laptop to be a dual boot (Windows Vista and Linux) machine. After solving the seemingly ubiquitous Broadcom wireless card driver problem, for which there is a great deal of help available on the Linux and Ubuntu forums (fora???), the machine is now fully up and running and performing like a new machine. Needless to say, I spend the vast majority of my time in the Linux environment, only going back to Vista now and again to check passwords and move things across. I love the way that I can now press a key and the machine responds immediately. A far cry from the resource squandering approach of Windows, where you always get the feeling that there is a lot of stuff going on in the background,and that your stuff has to wait its turn.

Happy Days indeed!

-uu-

Steve
Old enough to know better
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby hank » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:23 pm

Windows 10 Do's & Dont's

Ok Win10 is actually quite good it combines the bits we love from 7 and 8 with new features specific for 10. However, not all Win10 stuff is good so I've prepared a little guide on things you should do. Lets start with APPS (that's programs to most of us) Win 10 comes with a multitude of new Apps built in but, a lot of them are not needed or have better alternatives here is a list of programs that you can ditch there by saving disk space and/or memory.

1) 3D Builder. Unless you have a 3D printer its no use at all - DITCH
2) Cortana. Fun to begin with but not very practical and soon becomes irritating Keep or Ditch up to you
3) Films & TV. Win10 still comes with Windows Media Player and VLC is a much better FREE alternative - Ditch
4) Get started. Few helpful bits but all is available online free if you need it - Ditch
5) Get Skype. Just a link - Uninstall it ou can get skpe from www.snipca.com/19250 if you want it - Ditch
6) Phone Companion.Useless for androis & IOS phones just adverts for microsoft products - Ditch
7) Photos. OK but there are better alternatives. Try Picasa instead then - Ditch
8) Sport. just sport related links & news - Ditch
9) Voice recorder. Even if your PC has a Mic its low on features - Ditch
10) Xbox. If your'e not a gamer then - Ditch
11) Get Office - Annoying & useless - Ditch

Next - Features. You can safely turn off the following features if you don't use them
Internet Explorer (if you uses firefox,opera etc) - Uninstall
Internet printing client
XPS services (microsoft version of PDF which no-one uses)
XPS Viewer

Finally - Settings
In Settings/General
"Send Microsoft Info about how I write" - Effectiveley a keylogger sending everything you type to Microsoft - Off
"Location" Useful for Maps & Weather so you can leave on but switch off all the other apps listed
"Let Apps use My advertising ID for experiences across Apps" - Off
"Let Websites provide locally relevant content by accessing my language list - Off
"Camera, Microphone" Leave on for programs that need them e.g. Skype but turn off for everything else
"Speech, Inking & Typing" Allows Microsoft to gather info about you "to personalise your experience" - Creepy - Off
"Feedback & Diagnostics" Recommended Off
"Wi-Fi Sense" good idea but unsafe - Off (Setting/Network & Internet)
"Metered Connection" If you pay per megabyte of data you download then - On
"Updates from more than one place" A BitTorrent type service using your bandwith rather microsofts - Off
"Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" By default Off Recommed ON
"System Restore" By Default Off - Weird, Recommend ON (Setting/System/system protection)
"Visual Effects" Recommend System/advanced/"Adjust for High performance" unles you really like the pretty pictures
"Occasionally show suggestions in start" - (Settings/Personalisaton) - Off
"Show me tips about windows" Useless, speed up your PC - Off (Settings/sysstem/notifications & actions)
hank
Site Admin

Postby hank » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:16 pm

If you cant find any of the above settings - Apologies they are probably Win7/8 settings
If you are running 7 or 8 then you can still use the above advice where applicable
hank
Site Admin

Return to General Chit chat