Goole to Stanley Ferry and back

Here you can have a good gosip and talk about us all

Goole to Stanley Ferry and back

Postby Chris'n'Dave » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:29 am

This trip was a 100 mile round trip, around 20 hours of cruising and started Thursday teatime, our cruisers were Kev and Sheila and little Hannah in Maud Foster, a 100 year old steel barge Pat and Clive in there Seamaster, Zumba Rose and Chris and I plus our labrador Jess in our 50 narrowboat Pipistrelle.

We plan to cruise for around 2 hours and pass through our first lock at Pollington where we stop the night and prepare a BBQ for 7 + dog, after all our checks completed we start up and assemble in the canal and off we go, the lock at Pollington is a big lock and we agree that Maud Foster enters the lock first Pipistrelle second and Zumba Rose brings up the rear, the plan works well and we all fit in together and on leaving the lock we tie up together at the picnic area and crack open a few tinnies and a bottle of wine or two, the food is always something special on our cruises and we all chip in and buy far too much but its always a challenge, between us we have an electric BBQ and 2 Cobb Ovens, and on board we have full size cookers and ovens so nothing is impossible and the BBQ menu consists of Chicken legs and steaks, some super sausages, steak burgers, pork chops and belly pork steaks, some salad and bread rolls, the control of the electric BBQ and the Cobbs is that the food tastes of food not charcoal, tonight I am the chef and the food was awesome even if I do say so myself but the company was even better, a lovely first day followed by an excellent nights sleep followed with an agreement to be up and ready to cast off at 10.00am the next day,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris'n'Dave
Scurvy Mariner

Re: Goole to Stanley Ferry and back

Postby roya » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:35 am

.gj
sounds brill dave .clap.
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby Chris'n'Dave » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:33 pm

Friday: Pollington to Stanley Ferry, Wakefield. We covered 10 of the 50 mile journey yesterday so with 40 miles to go we expect to arrive Stanley Ferry around 6pm, by 10.00am all engines were running and we were on our way to the next lock at Whitley Bridge, Zumba Rose took the lead so Pat could prepare the lock for Maud Foster to enter first, Maud foster is some 20 tonnes so she takes a bit of stopping, the lock takes all three of us and is soon full and takes us up around 6 feet for the next leg of the journey, as we leave the lock we see that Maud Foster has run through a lot of floating weed and debris, a half mile from the lock Maud Foster has to pull over as her huge engine has started over heating, we all pull in together and investigate the problem, Kev suggests we take a break for brunch while he sorts out the blocked water intake, so bacon and sausage sandwiches salad and breadrolls are dug out along with the electric BBQ and in no time at all the smell of cooking bacon was wafting down the canal, we had planned to stop for brunch at Castleford anyway and we were meant to catch up with Martina Kirk and Paul but a quick phone call and they met up with us at Whitley and had a chinwag and a butty before we left for Castleford, with Maud Foster now cooling again we were able to make good time and reached the River Aire in good time and too the Wakefield branch to Stanley Ferry, the last 3 locks are fairly close together and Pat and Clive took the lead and we arrived Stanley Ferry at 7.00 so all in all we made good time, the moorings at Stanley Ferry are extensive but very popular so by the time we arrived there were only about 6 moorings available on the Pub side but not 3 together but not a problem, we got tied up and met for an evening meal in the pub, armed with special offers downloaded from the hungry horse website, well worth doing we saved £27.00 off our bill! so for 7 of us including drinks the bill was only £61.60, the next day is a planned chill out day, and what a lovely day it was, great weather, serious chilling took place and we spent the evening back in the hungry horse with another set of vouchers! we plan the return journey, 2 x 5 hour cruises, Sunday Stanley Ferry to Whitley Village and Monday Whitley Village to Goole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris'n'Dave
Scurvy Mariner

Postby Chris'n'Dave » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:59 pm

So a little bit about Stanley Ferry, this is one of the places where the waterways make the lock gates and furniture for the waterways, and is adjacent a huge reclamation area turned in to a nature reserve and is only an 40 min cruise to Wakefield centre, there is still some evidence of the damage caused by the flooding of the winter, but nature has a way of fixing itself and you really need to look now that the summer growth is in abundance along the banks of the river, the canals of course are pretty well managed and did not suffer too much, as 10.00am approached I see that my cruising companions are preparing to slip ropes, we have a bit of wind and cloud this morning but we are not forecast any rain, Zumba Rose and Myself start our engines to warm them up for a few minutes but Maud Foster seem to have dead batteries, firing up the generator and running the charger for 20 minutes sees Maud running too, Kev is a bit concerned as he has just fitted an automatic invertor charger and galvanic isolator system before the trip but although it worked fine on shore power it seemed to have a problem when on the generator, mmm, anyway now she was started the start battery bank could recharge while on the move, our plan today is to get to Whitley Village, expected cruising time approx 5 hours, Pat and Clive volunteered to run the locks as they had the fastest boat and off we set, all safely turned around and heading in the right direction we wave goodbye to Stanley Ferry.

The wind was giving us a push and we were about 2 hours into the journey when all of a sudden Maud Foster veered off course and then went through a series of turns and came to rest at the next lock, investigation revealed one of the 100 year old wooden bearings on the rudder shaft had split and dropped so the rudder post was just loose, Maud is an old girl going through a range of refurbishment and replacements and some of those put extra wear and tear on other parts, the recently fitted hydraulic steering system is no doubt putting some additional strains on the old running gear but Kev was able to fix it enough to continue the journey so off we go again, the repair completed remarkably quickly, while the lock was filling! so no time lost, by now we are back at Castleford and back on the Canal system, the wind is still a problem and I notice Kev is having to make a lot of exaggerated inputs to keep Maud Foster in a straight line due to the play in his steering but we motor on to Whitley and despite the wind we manage to moor up together and start to settle down to spend the night. the BBQs are out, the beer and wine decantered and a nice evening of eating, drinking and chatting led to an early night before our last leg of 5 hours on Monday.
Chris'n'Dave
Scurvy Mariner

Postby Chris'n'Dave » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:26 pm

Whitley to Goole, the last leg, We set off at 10.00am the starting problem with Maud Foster resolved we only have 2 more locks Whitley and Pollington and Pat and Clive do the honours and we pass through without a hitch the wind is still pushing us along and we get back to Goole in 4 and a half hours, the whole trip of around a hundred miles we used approx 10 - 12 litres of fuel, and a drop of oil we had no hitches this trip but as we all know boats are a hole in the water we throw money into and next weekend my boat safety inspection is due, no doubt on top of the £125 test fee there will be something that will need updating. Maud Foster is a fantastic restoration project, unfortunately she has had many changes over the years meaning the restoration is not back to the original but a sympathetic renovation to a comfortable spacious live aboard with modern and up to date systems, there is still a lot to do and the timescale is 5 years!

Cruising in company is a great way to explore the canals, and the social scene at the marina means there are always somewhere to go and someone to go with. the pace is similar to the broads although the emphasis is on self sufficiency as serviced moorings are just not available anywhere other than in the cities, the canal towpaths are well maintained so finding somewhere to tie up for an overnight, or a few day stopover is not a problem, traffic is also a lot lighter than the broads in 20 hours of cruising we have seen less than a dozen boats on the move over four days, and did not have a problem finding moorings for us all at Stanley Ferry. The countryside is just as stunning as Norfolk with the added variation and the heritage of the industrial past.

We are looking forward to our next trip to Thorne near Doncaster for the folk weekend
Chris'n'Dave
Scurvy Mariner

Postby VetChugger » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:27 pm

What a great read! Thanks very much. Smashing to see such an upbeat tale of our Yorkshire waterways. My only slight disagreement would be concerning the pub at Stanley Ferry. Unfortunately we have had some very poor visits there which is a great shame considering its wonderful position.

If and when you have a longer trip out I can heartily reccomend carrying on past Stanley Ferry and onto the Calder & Hebble. More and more of wonderful scenery and some good pubs. The Ruddy Duck may only be a Marston chain pub but does very OK food and a good variety of beers and drinks. Good moorings as well.

Further on is the Navigation at Calder grove which is in a similar cracking canalside position. Its just had a tasteful refurb keeping incharachter rather than plastic! Just one lock and a nice straight cruise further is the Bingley Arms, another excellent watering hole.

One thing to bear in mind is that once reaching Fall Ings lock, all the easy powered bits are mysteriously missing and its down to the good old heave ho and the use of a hand spike!

Looking forward to reading more! Thanks again.
VetChugger
Scurvy Mariner

Postby SteveO » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:58 pm

A great account of an interesting voyage. Thanks

Pipistrelle looks to be a handsome ship and I particularly like the cabin/canopy over the helm. I always think that it must be a dog's life steering a narrowboat in the rain with the traditional exposed steering position, but you look to have got this problem well and truly solved.

We are just back from a few days in Yorkshire, visiting my parents, and I was struck by the huge difference in food and drink prices between God's county and Norfolk, with the latter coming out at nearly double the cost.

Keep the tales coming.

-uu-

Steve
Old enough to know better
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby Chris'n'Dave » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:30 pm

Your not wrong Steve, the Cabin we built with the help of a few friends, it is a great space and not just give protection from the rain but more importantly the sun, spending several hours without any shade is pretty uncomfortable when we have a summer like this and in the winter the heat from the log burner keeps it nice and toasty too! I am planning to make a front frame and cover called a cratch maybe next year, we need to finish off the repaint and the back cabin before we start another project.
Chris'n'Dave
Scurvy Mariner

Return to General Chit chat