PUZZLED

Here you can have a good gosip and talk about us all

PUZZLED

Postby roya » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:48 am

What HO,
i note that there is a lot of who haawing over the the new tolls,

talk of protest meetings and the like,
so why is it when our car tax goes up or council tax we just mumble and pay up.

so to me a few quid on a hobby like owning a boat,not sure but filling up with fuel must nearly equal or exceed the toll,not to mention a grand or so on mooring fees ,those are paid with out to much moaning,
why is the toll so emotive.

one good lunch and drinks for two in a pub can cost £50 ,if you get my drift.

input please. Thanks
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Re: PUZZLED

Postby ranworthbreeze » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi Roya,

In some ways I have to agree with you`our toll fee is a smaller part of our overall operating costs, our benefit is that the cost are shared between 20 share owners.

Most private owners on the broads however see this latest rise in toll will equate to more than the amount in the last five years and it is seen as the short end of the wedge.

Regards
Alan
Alan Hood
Ranworth Breeze Boat Syndicate
www.ranworthbreeze.co.uk
ranworthbreeze
Master's Mate

Postby roya » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:19 pm

Thanks for that Alan ,
any one else got a view,
INPUT I need Input
Thanks
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby SteveO » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:06 pm

My take on this is that the new toll structure has been touted as being fairer but I'm not sure who it is fairer to. Anything bigger than a stand-up paddleboard will be paying significantly more next year and most private owners I know are facing increases of more than 20% i.e. 10 times the rate of inflation. Most boaters I know are on a fixed income, so a hike like this for anything represents less money that we will have available to spend on other things. Furthermore, there is a perception that, with the widespread loss of moorings, especially on the Northern broads, we will be paying much more and geting much less in return. The last thing that irks me and others is that the 20% hike creates a new baseline against which future tolls and other price increases will be made against. There is a perception amongst many non-boaters that boat owners are all wealthy fat cats. In fact, most boat owners that I know operate on a shoe-string and a 20% hike in any cost is unwelcome - especially during the period of great financial uncertainty following the Brexit vote. The more paranoid of us are putting two and two together and suspect that this as part of a progressive strategy of pricing private boat owners off the Broads, so that the area can be turned into a bird sanctuary with limited or no navigation.

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers

Steve
Old enough to know better
SteveO
Master at Arms

Return to General Chit chat